Posted at 02:39 AM on Tuesday, March 9, 2021
Oh god, even less than a week before the George Floyd protests broke out, there was within my own town a dreadful episode where a handicapped girl was left to perish in a horrible, tortuous way - so awful that even the most bland and emotionally impartial description of the events bothered me to the rest of the day. It raised a nationwide problem to ensure other disabled people under attention weren't being treated this way, and I as a disabled woman myself felt extremely strongly about it and wanted to do anything I could to help out.

And George Floyd expired, in also awful circumstances, and that was the sole thing anyone was allowed to take care of. My fandom spaces I turned to for unwinding from RL activism were bombarded with images of violence (much of it also against handicapped individuals, but that was very seldom acknowleged) and tweets essentially claiming that if I did not retweet these and phone myself awful things I had been a horrible man who would as well be killing them (again, many handicapped ) people too.

I burnt out instantly and spent weeks feeling like a terrible person because of all of it. I never have to do anything to help out in my home town at all.American activists pushing their point of view to the world and decry -imperialism/racism/colonialism/etc- when the world as complex as it is, doesn't fit into their narrow view of"right", title a iconic duo.This stuff is extremely US-centric. Other places don't have such strong political concepts of cultural appropriation, or the idea which you can do something deeply racist without meaning to.

If you want to know more about AC, you can visit https://www.acbells.com/